Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day Three

Hyenas, Hippos, Donkeys, Camels, Goats, Cows, Birds, Jungle views, Coffee, Fruit, Beautiful babies asking for Highland (the brand name of the bottled water), Pictures, Monkeys*, Sleep, Singing, Dancing. Missing A.
Tommy was exchanging money inside the bank. The man begging clearly had nothing. He was persistent. While Judah was in the car, I didn’t want to attract too many people, so I said “no.”
“He’s sad mommy. We should give him something. I think he needs money.”
Judah was right.
“Ethiopia is sad mommy.”
My heart.
“Ethiopia is beautiful, Judah. But, yes, parts are also sad.”
I underestimated how wise and thoughtful my baby is. He sees and feels everything.
*As I am writing, a large monkey is sitting on the window-sill. He is facing the window, scanning in a criminal like way behind him. He’s thinking about breaking in. I’m convinced that he can undo the lock, so I scare him away.
I’m scared of monkeys.

No comments: