Thursday, November 3, 2011

I wouldn't...

I could write a very long novel explaining in detail all of the reasons why I would never put hair extensions on my daughter. Not that I judge people who do. You know your children best. I'm too busy trying to tread water. Judging? Wow. I don't even know how to do anything yet. It seems way too big of a job to judge. 6 months ago, I would have laughed just thinking about ME putting hair extensions on a CHILD. Really. I would have thought and thought and analyzed until I was sure that hair extensions + barbie would have been the equivalent of just handing a girl no self esteem and a couple dozen eating disorders. Then I met my grounded girl. The most mature person I know. The girl that has such real struggles and real thoughts, that any sort of temporary happiness- real or imagined, anything that makes her feel like she fits in a little bit more, anything that makes her feel lighter and less serious, anything. She knows more "real" than any person should. I looked at her last Saturday morning and impulsively decided. Really. At this point, some fake hair on her head is the last thing that's going to hurt her. I spent over 10 hours last weekend putting hair extensions on my daughter. It sucks to lose everyone you know. It sucks to worry about and miss your family. It sucks to be a girl and to have your head shaved. A few times. It's a tiny part, but it's the only part I can sort of, not really, almost, a little bit, fix.

2 comments:

Julie said...

You are awesome. She looks beautiful.

one + one said...

She looks gorgeous with long or short hair. And you are such a good mom. I bet she loves them.